Experienced electrical engineers in the Oil and Gas industry want to transition to renewable power. This desire stems from the global shift towards cleaner sources.
Electrical engineers can easily transition from Oil & Gas to clean energy. This is because they have transferable skills and knowledge, despite some differences between the two sectors. In this article, we will explore some tips for electrical engineers interested in clean energy engineering jobs.
Understand the Different Types of Renewable Energy
- Wind energy harnesses the power of the wind through turbines.
- Solar energy captures sunlight and converts it into usable electricity.
- Hydro energy utilizes the force of flowing water to generate power.
- Geothermal energy taps into the heat stored beneath the earth's surface.
- Bioenergy involves the use of organic materials, such as plants and waste, to produce energy.
Get Familiar with Renewable Energy Technologies
Brush Up on Electrical Engineering Fundamentals
Certain electrical engineering skills can be applied in the renewable energy industry. However, there are specific aspects that require a deeper understanding of the fundamentals of electrical engineering. This can include topics such as power electronics, power systems analysis, and renewable energy grid integration. Online courses and workshops can help you refine your engineering findamentals to better apply them in your next role.