Senior Refractory Specialist
Vacancy number • PUB406449
Brunel is currently hiring a talented professional to lead technical aspects of refractory design for hydrometallurgical equipment in collaboration with a major Engineering, Procurement, and Construction Management (EPCM) company. This role involves overseeing material selection, bricking arrangements, thermal and mechanical analysis, specification development, supplier selection, and ensuring quality throughout fabrication and installation. Additionally, responsibilities include forensic analysis and troubleshooting of existing refractory linings.
About this role
- Define and contribute to projects’ scope, costs and benefits, schedule, and implementation strategy.
- Technically manage project execution teams consisting of a mix of internal resources, consultants, and contractors.
- Review and approve drawings; oversee others responsible for update and creation of the drawings.
- Conduct refractory supplier pre-qualification and manage refractory supplier relationships.
- Conduct QA/QC inspections at suppliers’ facilities prior to products being shipped or at the project site.
- Provide on-site supervision during construction and refractory installation phases of a project.
- Conduct weekly project review meetings with the project execution team.
- Develop plans for operational support of refractory-lined assets, including planning and execution of fitness-for-service inspections, dimensional surveys, data analysis, condition assessment, preventive maintenance, and re-lining activities.
- Develop and conduct a training program to upgrade skills of project execution team members as needed to support the growth of the refractory practice.
- Assist the leadership team through review of the relevant sections of proposals for key projects.
- Identify and manage technology improvement projects, including approved R&D projects.
- Identify patentable technology and assist the Director with the drafting of patent applications.
- Assist with marketing of technology, including writing technical papers and participation in relevant industry meetings, workshops, and conferences.
What you need to bring:
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering with a major in material science or ceramics.
- A minimum of 10 years practical experience in the use of refractory materials in hydrometallurgical applications with an excellent working knowledge of vessel lining design, operation, and maintenance.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in refractory manufacturing, particularly involving the production, quality control, and installation of refractory brick and tile products, mortars, and lining systems.
- Good working knowledge of the technical aspects of refractory design in closely related areas, i.e., an understanding of the impacts of refractory linings on vessel deflection and structural containments
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office 10 products such as Word, Excel, MS Project, and PowerPoint.
- Strong organizational skills are required to meet multiple task targets. The individual must demonstrate leadership skills to manage contractors, control budgets, and maintain scheduled commitments.
- Good knowledge of project execution methodologies.
What We Offer
Why work with Brunel? We are proud to offer exciting career opportunities from over 100 offices globally in 42 countries. Advancing your career takes time and effort – let us match you to your ideal position.
Brunel has a reputation for working with some of the best in the business. That’s what we continually strive for. Brunel provides the global recruitment and workforce services you need to lead your industry. With 45 years of market experience in Renewable Energy, Automotive, Oil & Gas, Life Sciences, Mining, and Infrastructure, we help you finish major projects safely, compliantly, on-time, within budget and at the highest quality, so you can keep growing – anywhere in the world.
Are you ready for the next step in your career? Join Brunel’s powerful global network, where passionate, results-driven specialists come together with industry-leading clients. By connecting specialists to pioneering projects, we drive change in many industries, enabling growth and delivering great outcomes. Brunel helps you reach your full potential and empowers you to make an impact within a purpose-driven global company.
Explore your career opportunities!
At Brunel, we are proud of our unique corporate culture, which is shaped and nurtured by the collective efforts of our employees. Our work environment is characterised by an authentic, communicative and inclusive approach to teamwork that fosters an atmosphere of collaboration and creativity. Our values are at the center of everything we do – for our clients, our colleagues and ourselves.
Since 1975, our mission has always been to connect specialists to exciting career opportunities, to support the development of these careers, and to offer fair and equal employment. This has enabled us to create a truly sustainable and durable business model. Having a passion for people and caring deeply for the environment is not only part of Brunel’s DNA but is also reflected in our culture and values. As a global company, we take our social responsibility very seriously.
Join us on our mission!
Any questions remaining?
Your consultant, Clemens Snoeijer is happy to clarify anything about this vacancy. When reaching out, use this number: PUB406449