Principal Systems Assurance Engineer
Vacancy number • PUB406543
Brunel is currently looking for a Principal Systems Assurance Engineer for our EPCM client in Mississauga, Ontario. As a Principal Systems Assurance Engineer, you'll be reporting directly to the Director of Systems Assurance. This leadership position involves overseeing safety programs for expansive rail developments within the global rail systems and assurance practice. The ideal candidate should possess in-depth expertise in systems engineering, assurance, RAMS, and Safety Management Systems applicable to the entire railway operation. The role requires a proven track record in engineering safety management and strong leadership skills in guiding safety teams.
About this role
- Lead project teams in review and development of system assurance analyses and documentation throughout the project lifecycle:
- Safety and Risk Analyses – Review and develop analyses including PHA, IHA, SHA, SSHA and knowledge of safety analysis techniques including fault tree analyses, FMECAs, etc.
- Reliability Analyses – Review and develop analyses including RAM Allocation, RAM Analysis and FRACAS and knowledge of reliability analysis techniques, including reliability modelling and reliability block diagrams.
- Lead project teams in performance of Hazard Management, including:
- Develop processes/procedures to set up and maintain Hazard Log Management tool.
- Leading and participating in HAZOP and HAZID studies.
- Develop project schedules or provide Project Managers with guidance as to the inputs required for RAMS tasks and expected durations for RAMS tasks.
- Lead project teams in performance of Systems Assurance Planning in Reliability and/or Safety Studies, including development of Safety Certification Plans, Safety Management Plans, Safety Case Plans and RAM Plans.
- Lead project teams in review of verification/validation evidence for incorporation into Project Safety Cases.
- Conduct Assurance Audits and Assessments for Safety, RAM of 3rd party vendors and suppliers.
- Provide mentorship and leadership to systems assurance engineers to execute Systems Assurance Programs for Clients.
- Prepare technical documents/reports for presentation to clients, stakeholders, project teams, etc.
- Develop and present material/participate in client/stakeholder workshops.
- Development of System Safety Cases and Assurance Cases.
- Interface with design teams, management, rail/transit operators and suppliers.
- Continuous, effective communication and relationship building with Clients in the development and implementation of projects.
What you need to bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in related engineering discipline (e.g., electrical, mechanical).
- P.Eng. designation or eligible to apply.
- 15 years or greater of experience working for a railway authority, rail supplier or consultancy.
- Demonstrated success in a team environment and in leading a systems assurance team in transit/rail infrastructure projects.
- Complete railway, project wide RAMS experience.
- Experience of the design lifecycle as well as experience with transit/rail assurance standards such as AREMA, IEEE, MIL-STD-882, EN50126, EN50128 and EN50129 is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience executing assurance process to obtain safety certification for railway projects.
- Knowledge of rail systems, including but not limited to signaling, tunnel ventilation, traction power, overhead catenary, track, structures, communications, EMI/EMC and rail vehicles.
- Knowledge of hazard analysis management in a large rail/transit project environment.
- Knowledge of DOORS or other requirement management tools and their application in a rail/transit infrastructure project environment.
- Knowledge of Systems Engineering process, including INCOSE and/or IEC 15288.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with ability to communicate complex technical information to both technical and non-technical personnel, including external clients, vendors, and other team members.
What We Offer
Why work with Brunel? We are proud to offer exciting career opportunities from over 100 offices globally in 42 countries. Advancing your career takes time and effort – let us match you to your ideal position.
Brunel has a reputation for working with some of the best in the business. That’s what we continually strive for. Brunel provides the global recruitment and workforce services you need to lead your industry. With 45 years of market experience in Renewable Energy, Automotive, Oil & Gas, Life Sciences, Mining and Infrastructure, we help you finish major projects safely, compliantly, on-time, within budget and at the highest quality, so you can keep growing – anywhere in the world.
Are you ready for the next step in your career? Join Brunel’s powerful global network, where passionate, results-driven specialists come together with industry-leading clients. By connecting specialists to pioneering projects, we drive change in many industries, enabling growth and delivering great outcomes. Brunel helps you reach your full potential and empowers you to make an impact within a purpose-driven global company.
Explore your career opportunities!
At Brunel, we are proud of our unique corporate culture, which is shaped and nurtured by the collective efforts of our employees. Our work environment is characterised by an authentic, communicative and inclusive approach to teamwork that fosters an atmosphere of collaboration and creativity. Our values are at the center of everything we do – for our clients, our colleagues and ourselves.
Since 1975, our mission has always been to connect specialists to exciting career opportunities, to support the development of these careers, and to offer fair and equal employment. This has enabled us to create a truly sustainable and durable business model. Having a passion for people and caring deeply for the environment is not only part of Brunel’s DNA but is also reflected in our culture and values. As a global company, we take our social responsibility very seriously.
Join us on our mission!
Any questions remaining?
Your consultant, Clemens Snoeijer is happy to clarify anything about this vacancy. When reaching out, use this number: PUB406543