About this job
- Market: Life Sciences & Health Care
- Industry: Pharmaceutical
- Area of expertise: Project Management & Services
- Location: Ontario
What is required?
- Hours per week: 40
- Education level: Academic Bachelor
- Closing date: Tuesday, November 15, 2022
About this role: Global Head of Construction Safety, Vaccines
We are currently hiring a Global Head of Construction Safety, Vaccines, for our client, a global pharmaceutical company and one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. The company is known for its global contribution in areas including pharmaceuticals and consumer healthcare products. Our client offers the broadest range of vaccines in the world, providing protection against a wide array of bacterial and viral diseases.
The Global Head of Construction Safety, Vaccines will be a member of the ETS Leadership Team and work closely not only with the other Global Engineering function within the Vaccine’s ETS group but also other GBUs and global and local functions including HSE, Quality, Procurement. They will support the objectives of the industrial strategy, focusing on growth by leading and driving construction safety performance across all our major Tier 1 projects around the world. They will be accountable for all safety aspects related to the management and execution of our major capital projects worldwide from the establishing construction safety standards to champion a best-in-class construction safety culture. In addition, they are responsible to support pre-qualification of construction and supply vendors, risk assessments, and HSE investigations as part of the global direction and guidance for good construction practices.
- Develop global HSE construction standards to be established and adhered to on all major Tier 1 vaccines capital projects around the world
- Develop and implement a program to foster a truly safety-first, quality always construction culture across the world that is best in class and respects cultural diversity and capabilities, including digital tools for permitting and reporting
- Establish and lead a network of HSE construction safety support partners across the globe that actively monitor, manage, and improve safe delivery of our capital program
- Facilitate pre-qualification and vendor selection of construction management companies, general/sub-contractors, and equipment installers to ensure they are aligned to the company's HSE vision and aspirations
- Lead and support HSE incident investigations across the Vaccines portfolio of projects including root cause analyses and implementation of future preventative actions. This may include supporting local global minor project construction HSE requests when requested
- Participate in capital project’s constructability reviews and logistic planning sessions to ensure project execution activities are being coordinated in a safe and logical manner
- Supervises and monitors compliance with employment and health and safety legislation to ensure that contractors and suppliers globally are working within the local policies, procedures, and regulations applicable to their work
- Participates in the investigation of incidents and work-related accidents, incidents, and/or illnesses
- Responds promptly to all health and safety concerns or incidents and completes the appropriate documentation in a timely manner
- Takes every reasonable precaution to ensure the health and safety of staff and contractors
- Management of a global network of HSE Construction Safety Partners, often remotely, to ensure that capital project execution activities are be conducted in a manner to ensure the safety of all staff and contractors
- Understanding of best-in-class construction safety ways of working with the ability to influence and direct our global construction partners to adopt, adhere to, and understand the benefits of these practices
- Navigate global cultural difference on construction sites to emphasis to a safety-first, quality always culture
- Ensures that protective equipment and clothing required is used by staff and contractors
- Cooperates and assists the Joint Health and Safety Committee in carrying out its functions
- Advises staff and contractors of any potential or actual health and safety hazard of which they are aware
- They will supervise the construction activities for projects with an annual capital budget of about €600M/yr with total investments of inflight projects of >€2B
- They will ensure the safe management of >1,000 construction contractors globally at various stages of project execution activities
- They will interface with senior management of engineering, construction management and construction companies globally through the life cycles of a capital project from design through to handover
- They will interface with the senior management of the company's Industrial Affairs engineering team with the objective to reach alignment in good engineering & maintenance practices within the group
- They will interface with the senior management of engineering firms integrated with other pharmaceutical groups in order
- to share concerns, difficulties, solutions, and best practices, particularly as part of international benchmarking operations
- conducted by external groups or agencies (project management, validation/qualification)
- They will interface with the senior management of engineering consulting firms globally (during the negotiation of design contracts, project deployment, and project follow-up (in case of difficulty)
- They will interface with the senior management of certain equipment vendors and construction contractors (in case of difficulties, during negotiations, monitoring construction work, etc.)
- They must operate under the motto “Safety First, Quality Always”
What you need to bring:
- Technical educational background in Engineering, Construction Management, and/or Occupational Health and Safety
- Training in First Aid, Mental Health, and/or OSHA/WHMIS or other global equivalents a plus
- 10+ years of international leadership experience in the blue-chip construction industry required for large capital projects >€50m, with strong knowledge of occupational health and safety, best-in-class construction practices, and industry regulation knowledge
- 5-10 years’ experience working in and managing within a large, global, matrix team of professionals preferably from the client side
- Experience working with and influencing large construction management, general contractors, and supply vendors around the world in various cultures to safely deliver projects within active industrial sites.
- Experience with HSE reporting of not only lagging performance indicators but development and tracking of leading construction HSE indicators
- Experience leading accident investigations from immediate flash reporting and root cause analysis to implement preventive actions
- Experience and knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry including GMP, FDA and EU guidelines and regional/country authorities’ guidelines a plus
- Fluent in English / conversant in French a plus
- Knowledge of global leading EHS management and reporting software
- Communication, relationship management and influencing skills
- Global travel may be required up to 20% of the time
What We Offer
Why apply through Brunel? Finding the next step in your career can be a fulltime job in itself. We manage the process for you: from submitting your resume to coordinating interviews to extending offers and assisting with on-boarding. We’ll get you going while you get on with the job.
Brunel has a reputation for working with some of the best in the business. That’s what we continually strive for. Over 45 years, we’ve created a global network of interesting clients and talented individuals working together through a vast array of services.
Start applying immediately
Sending an application is quick and easy. Just make sure you have the required documents ready to go.
- Job references (optional)
- Motivation Letter (optional)
Any questions remaining?
Your consultant, Angelina Brathwaite is happy to clarify anything about this vacancy. When reaching out, use this number:
Brunel Canada - Toronto