Underground Survey Specialist
Vacancy number • PUB406564
Brunel Papua New Guinea are seeking an Underground Survey Specialist. Reporting to the Chief Surveyor the purpose of this role is responsible for conducting accurate and precise underground surveys to support mine planning, safety initiatives, and overall operational efficiency. This role requires a thorough understanding of surveying techniques, underground mining methods, and the ability to work in challenging underground environments.
This role is primarily a training position, with the objective being to train and mentor the team of Underground Surveyors. So the candidate must posses high level technical and training skills.
The ideal candidate must demonstrate a strong commitment to safety and the ability to collaborate effectively with team members and stakeholders. Excellent stakeholder engagement and relationship-building skills at all levels are highly valued. This is a 12-month contract opportunity with FIFO benefits and offering competitive salary + site allowance – 21 days on/ 14 days off roster with 12-hour days. Commencement date is as soon as possible.
About this role
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Develop and implement training programs to train UG Surveyors in all aspects of their tasks
- To attend operational shift change meetings and prioritise the required survey activities
- Establish control points and benchmarks for reference throughout the mining operation
- Conduct precise underground surveys using a variety of surveying instruments and technologies to ensure accurate mapping of underground workings
- Create detailed and up-to-date maps of underground tunnels, stopes, and other excavations
- Ensure daily working plans and mark-ups for the control of all underground development and production drilling are completed as per prioritization and to required standard
- Conduct and develop the skills required for CMS surveys of Underground stopes after ore extraction, to be used for reconciliation of actual and design mine tonnages
- Periodically carry out precise survey checks of underground control station network to verify survey accuracy and upgrade mine survey control
- Maintain the Underground computer database of underground mine workings in accordance with all statutory requirements
- Undertake timely and accurate end-of-month and other periodic survey reports
- Monitor and ensure that all survey equipment is serviced and maintained
- Collaborate with mine planners and geologists to incorporate survey data into mine design and development plans
- Implement monitoring programs for ground movement, convergence, and other geotechnical aspects in collaboration with geotechnical engineers
- Analyze survey data to identify trends, potential risks, and opportunities for operational improvement.
- Adhere to safety protocols and guidelines during underground survey activities
- Collaborate with the safety team to assess and mitigate risks associated with surveying in confined and challenging environments
- Communicate survey findings and data to relevant stakeholders, including mine planners, engineers, and mine management
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to integrate survey information into the overall mine operation strategy
- Ensure survey activities comply with local mining regulations and industry standards
- Assist in the preparation of reports and documentation for regulatory submissions
- Provide training and guidance to junior surveying staff and other team members
- Stay informed about advancements in surveying technology and methodologies
- Qualification in Surveying, Geomatics, or a related field
- Significant experience underground hard rock mining as a surveyor
- proficiency in using surveying instruments, total stations, laser scanners, and other relevant technologies
- Strong understanding of underground mining methods and geotechnical considerations.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Familiarity with mine planning and design software is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively in confined and challenging underground environments. Exposure to and understanding of modern survey instrumentation and associated computer systems.
- Strong report writing skills
- FIFO roster 21 days on/ 14 days off
- Ensuite style accommodation/ good security onsite/ Gym/ full medical facilities onsite
- Attractive Daily rate on offer
Operating in Papua New Guinea since 2008, Brunel has their major bases in Brisbane and Port Moresby, which are further backed by the strength and reach of a truly global network spanning 44 countries, 100 offices and 45 years of successful operation.
At Brunel, we believe that safety is not just a priority, but a value that is integral to our company culture at all levels of our organization.
- We establish measurable objectives and targets, consistently reviewing our activities, risks, legal obligations, and performance.
- Brunel Americas is a proud member of Houston Business Roundtable, & Utah Safety Council, and a participant of ISNetworld RAVS Plus Audit.
- Brunel consistently utilizes performance measuring and monitoring. This includes meticulous record keeping and routine inspections.
While compensation is important, finding the right cultural fit is equally crucial. At Brunel, our longstanding cultures and values have contributed to a positive employee experience, which is why some candidates have chosen to stay with us for 30 + years.
- Our values are at the center of everything we do –Entrepreneurship, Integrity, Results-driven, & Passion for people.
- Brunel is committed to an inclusive workforce and we understand that Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are essential for a successful working culture, business, and community. Thus, Brunel takes both a global and regional approach to DE&I.
At Brunel, we prioritize candidate’s career abilities and needs even before the hiring process begins.
- With open lines of communication and a dedicated team assigned to every contractor, we strive to make every employee experience with us as easy and seamless as possible.
- Our contractors create and maintain lasting industry relationships that can be leveraged throughout their career.
- We prioritize employee needs in order to build strong partnerships that support our employees’ long-term professional success and development.
Any questions remaining?
Your consultant, Wilfred Kochannek is happy to clarify anything about this vacancy. When reaching out, use the pub number: PUB406564