Principal Systems Assurance Engineer
Vacancy number • PUB406543
Brunel is currently looking for a Principal Systems Assurance Engineer for our EPCM client in Mississauga, Ontario. As a Principal Systems Assurance Engineer, you'll be reporting directly to the Director of Systems Assurance. This leadership position involves overseeing safety programs for expansive rail developments within the global rail systems and assurance practice. The ideal candidate should possess in-depth expertise in systems engineering, assurance, RAMS, and Safety Management Systems applicable to the entire railway operation. The role requires a proven track record in engineering safety management and strong leadership skills in guiding safety teams.
About this role
- Lead project teams in review and development of system assurance analyses and documentation throughout the project lifecycle:
- Safety and Risk Analyses – Review and develop analyses including PHA, IHA, SHA, SSHA and knowledge of safety analysis techniques including fault tree analyses, FMECAs, etc.
- Reliability Analyses – Review and develop analyses including RAM Allocation, RAM Analysis and FRACAS and knowledge of reliability analysis techniques, including reliability modelling and reliability block diagrams.
- Lead project teams in performance of Hazard Management, including:
- Develop processes/procedures to set up and maintain Hazard Log Management tool.
- Leading and participating in HAZOP and HAZID studies.
- Develop project schedules or provide Project Managers with guidance as to the inputs required for RAMS tasks and expected durations for RAMS tasks.
- Lead project teams in performance of Systems Assurance Planning in Reliability and/or Safety Studies, including development of Safety Certification Plans, Safety Management Plans, Safety Case Plans and RAM Plans.
- Lead project teams in review of verification/validation evidence for incorporation into Project Safety Cases.
- Conduct Assurance Audits and Assessments for Safety, RAM of 3rd party vendors and suppliers.
- Provide mentorship and leadership to systems assurance engineers to execute Systems Assurance Programs for Clients.
- Prepare technical documents/reports for presentation to clients, stakeholders, project teams, etc.
- Develop and present material/participate in client/stakeholder workshops.
- Development of System Safety Cases and Assurance Cases.
- Interface with design teams, management, rail/transit operators and suppliers.
- Continuous, effective communication and relationship building with Clients in the development and implementation of projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in related engineering discipline (e.g., electrical, mechanical).
- P.Eng. designation or eligible to apply.
- 15 years or greater of experience working for a railway authority, rail supplier or consultancy.
- Demonstrated success in a team environment and in leading a systems assurance team in transit/rail infrastructure projects.
- Complete railway, project wide RAMS experience.
- Experience of the design lifecycle as well as experience with transit/rail assurance standards such as AREMA, IEEE, MIL-STD-882, EN50126, EN50128 and EN50129 is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience executing assurance process to obtain safety certification for railway projects.
- Knowledge of rail systems, including but not limited to signaling, tunnel ventilation, traction power, overhead catenary, track, structures, communications, EMI/EMC and rail vehicles.
- Knowledge of hazard analysis management in a large rail/transit project environment.
- Knowledge of DOORS or other requirement management tools and their application in a rail/transit infrastructure project environment.
- Knowledge of Systems Engineering process, including INCOSE and/or IEC 15288.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with ability to communicate complex technical information to both technical and non-technical personnel, including external clients, vendors, and other team members.
What We Offer
Why work with Brunel? We are proud to offer exciting career opportunities from over 100 offices globally in 42 countries. Advancing your career takes time and effort – let us match you to your ideal position.
Brunel has a reputation for working with some of the best in the business. That’s what we continually strive for. Brunel provides the global recruitment and workforce services you need to lead your industry. With 45 years of market experience in Renewable Energy, Automotive, Oil & Gas, Life Sciences, Mining and Infrastructure, we help you finish major projects safely, compliantly, on-time, within budget and at the highest quality, so you can keep growing – anywhere in the world.
At Brunel, we believe that safety is not just a priority, but a value that is integral to our company culture at all levels of our organization.
- We establish measurable objectives and targets, consistently reviewing our activities, risks, legal obligations, and performance.
- Brunel Americas is a proud member of Houston Business Roundtable, & Utah Safety Council, and a participant of ISNetworld RAVS Plus Audit.
- Brunel consistently utilizes performance measuring and monitoring. This includes meticulous record keeping and routine inspections.
While compensation is important, finding the right cultural fit is equally crucial. At Brunel, our longstanding cultures and values have contributed to a positive employee experience, which is why some candidates have chosen to stay with us for 30 + years.
- Our values are at the center of everything we do –Entrepreneurship, Integrity, Results-driven, & Passion for people.
- Brunel is committed to an inclusive workforce and we understand that Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are essential for a successful working culture, business, and community. Thus, Brunel takes both a global and regional approach to DE&I.
At Brunel, we prioritize candidate’s career abilities and needs even before the hiring process begins.
- With open lines of communication and a dedicated team assigned to every contractor, we strive to make every employee experience with us as easy and seamless as possible.
- Our contractors create and maintain lasting industry relationships that can be leveraged throughout their career.
- We prioritize employee needs in order to build strong partnerships that support our employees’ long-term professional success and development.
Any questions remaining?
Your consultant, Clemens Snoeijer is happy to clarify anything about this vacancy. When reaching out, use the pub number: PUB406543