About this job
- Industry: Oil & Gas
- Area of expertise: Engineering & Design
- Location: HR The Hague
What is required?
- Hours per week: 40
- Education level: Academic Master
About this role: Electrical Engineer Grid Technician
Brunel are looking to identify Master's Degree or PhD educated Electrical Engineers with various levels of experience in electrical power systems and engineering, ideally obtained via offshore wind developers, EPC contractors, TSOs/DSOs, research projects and/or providing an engineering consultancy service. This 2 year contract is to work for a prestigious, global company renowned in the Oil, Gas and Renewables sectors. In regard to work location for this position, you can be based within their two offices (Amsterdam, Netherlands and Houston, United States) or undertake this position remotely across the globe.
NOTE: POSITION CAN BE PERFORMED REMOTELY. Should you wish to relocate, whilst assistance may be provided this would be at your own cost.
- The role of the Electrical Engineer Grid Connection Technician will be to support the Wind and Solar Technology Programs to deliver innovations for Shell’s Renewables and Energy Solutions businesses and will include:
- Techno-economic optimization for grid connections for far and large offshore windfarms.
- Grid integration design for both AC and DC solutions, with an emphasis on the power quality, power electronics control and overall system dynamic stability under normal and fault conditions.
- Evaluating options to incorporate storage in renewable power generation assets.
- Optimizing power conversion in wind and/or solar assets for both power and hydrogen export.
- Support ongoing external technology collaborations.
- Work with sector decarbonization projects involving power transmission and distribution.
- Using Industry-relevant electrical engineering software packages for Root Mean Squared (RMS) and Electro Magnetic Transient (EMT) modelling and script-based automation of these.
- Performing relevant power system design and engineering studies (e.g. dynamic, harmonic, transient, control stability, protection and control) throughout the life cycle of project development, execution, and operational phases.
- Power system component testing and hardware in the loop testing.
- Power electronics applications (e.g. wind, solar, FACTS, HVDC, STATCOM) and their interaction with power systems.
-Power system planning and operation working with or for TSO/DSOs.
- Programming or scripting skills and experience with GitHub.
- Software engineering experience with both front-end and back-end experience, preferably in the domain of power system engineering.
- Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning model development and life-cycle management.
- Using cloud services (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, Azure) and app deployment in cloud environment (e.g. Dash).
-High power electronics application design, manufacturing, testing, and commissioning obtained via offshore wind developer, EPC contractor, TSO/DSO, research project or providing consultancy/engineering services.
- Rating and design choices for main circuit of power electronics application and its interface to other primary/secondary equipment.
- Auxiliary circuit design and engineering for power electronics application (e.g. auxiliary power supply, cooling circuit).
- Protection/control design demonstrated in a relevant project/product development environment.
- HVDC product development, and project development.
- Primary/secondary component design, manufacturing, testing, and commissioning obtained via offshore wind developer, EPC contractor, TSO/DSO, research project or providing consultancy/engineering service (AC and/or DC Circuit breakers, AC and/or DC GIS, AC and/or DC power cables, reactive power compensation and associated control and protection).
- QA/QC roles in project/product development environment.
- - Power system primary/secondary component testing and hardware in the loop testing.
- Power electronics applications (e.g. wind, solar, FACTS, HVDC, STATCOM) and their testing and commissioning.
- Preferably PhD degree (or equivalent) in Electrical engineering and/or a Master’s degree (or equivalent). Relevant working experience in power transmission and distribution, renewable power generation and its system integration is a plus or a requirement depending on the position.
- Understanding of primary/secondary power transmission/distribution components (e.g. subsea cable/OHL, power transformer, circuit breaker, shunt reactors/capacitors, FACTS, HVDC) and their application in the context of renewable generation, power transmission and industrial electrification projects.
- Electrical power system and engineering experience obtained via offshore wind developer, EPC contractor, TSO/DSO, research project or providing consultancy/engineering service.
- Experience in contributing to or managing technology development activities.
- Ability to link business drivers to deep technical understanding and vice versa.
- A commitment to HSSE especially in design for operability
Start applying immediately
Sending an application is quick and easy. Just make sure you have the required documents ready to go.
- Certifications (optional)
- Job references (optional)
- Motivation Letter (optional)
Any questions remaining?
Your consultant, Stephen Hardy is happy to clarify anything about this vacancy. When reaching out, use the pub number:
Brunel Energy UK Manchester