About this job
- Market: Energy
- Branch: Mining
- Area of Expertise: Engineering & Design
- Location: Vancouver
What is required?
- hours per week: 40
- Education level: Academic Bachelor
- Closing date: Friday, 7 October 2022
About this role: Senior Engineering Project Manager
We are currently hiring a Senior Engineering Project Manager for our mining client. The Engineering Project Manager will be responsible for day-to-day leadership, management and direction of both the detail engineering and the engineering execution phases of a major mining and metallurgical process facilities project, reporting to the Project Director, and functionally to the Director of Engineering. This is a long-term contract opportunity.
This position will work remotely in a Vancouver, BC engineering office, then to the jobsite in Arizona.
- Review the development of the engineering work packages (EWPs) for all deliverables and time-based functions with technology provider. Review and analyze project requirements to establish tasks and subtasks and project timelines.
- Responsible for the scope, cost, schedule, safety, and quality associated with the project as influenced by the technology package engineering.
- Monitor the technical work performance and verify controls for tracking and reporting the advancement of engineering deliverables.
- Interfaces closely with site-based leadership, health and safety personnel and other internal organizations to ensure that work is executed in a manner consistent with the expectations of the operating property and in a safe and environmentally responsible manner
- Participate in design reviews, and execution planning discussions to ensure well-conceived and logical schedule development
- Leads the evaluation, management and approval of changes to the work proposed by the technology provider and works to minimize impacts to cost and schedule
- Ensures that a comprehensive QA/QC is in place to monitor quality of all engineering tasks and deliverables.
- Monitors work in-progress and completed to ensure that the work is of a quality and character that meets the requirements of FMMC and the site operations team
- Participates in all project engineering meetings including progress review meetings (weekly, monthly), progress versus schedule (master, look-ahead, and specific) and works with project team, EP(CM) contractor, site operations team and others to resolve issues, and recover or compress schedule
- Manages the reforecast of contractor staffing needs using actual progress, work remaining to complete and estimates to complete
- Ensure the development of an achievable engineering schedule to meet project requirements using the EWPs.
- Provide input into the project monthly report with respect to design progress, cost and issues of concern and recommend changes if required to achieve overall objectives.
- Contribute to the development of the Project Execution Plan (PEP) together with the project leadership team (including procurement, project controls, construction, and commissioning), and allocate roles and responsibilities.
- Coordinate with Procurement, Construction and Commissioning personnel early in the design effort to obtain their input and conduct any necessary reviews.
- Regularly review and appraise the structure of the engineering project team in terms of its ability to meet short- and long-term objectives, and institute appropriate changes.
- Ensure that Engineering Company(s) Engineering Systems and 3D intelligent design environment is properly setup and being used.
- Involve specialist expertise from within FMMC or externally as necessary.
- Ensure engineering risk assessments and HAZOPs are carried out and all identified issues are addressed.
- Supervises project staff and contractors.
- Serves as expert on engineering management issues.
- Coordinate quality audit verifications to ensure compliance with all relevant engineering standards and procedures for all design activities. Instigate corrective actions as required.
- Proven experience in Project and Engineering Management on projects with a value exceeding $500 million.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or related field, and minimum 15 years’ experience with the practice, systems, processes and terminology of project management.
- Master’s degree in engineering or related field and minimum 12 years’ experience with the practice, systems, processes and terminology of project management.
- Work involves frequent travel, international assignments, and relocation to the site of work
- An extensive technical knowledge of engineering systems, design, applications of engineering processes and materials, and engineering applications of current engineering technologies.
- General knowledge of industry, regulatory standards and design criteria in engineering disciplines.
- Comprehensive knowledge of project planning, controls and understanding of multi-discipline interdependencies.
- A high degree of understanding of procurement and contracting, construction and commissioning methodologies.
- Ability to lead, motivate and inspire others, transfer expertise and provide a coaching role to others in terms of best practice.
- Ability to handle complex problem-solving tasks, applying appropriate analysis and consideration of high-level technical detail.
- Prior EPCM experience preferred with design office management experience
- Registration as a Professional Engineer with a governing authority.
- Proven experience in Project or Engineering Management on large industrial projects with a value exceeding $1 billion is an advantage.
- Experience with scheduling programs.
- Understanding of engineering staffing requirements and forecasting
- Experience in setting KPI’s and tracking on a day to day basis
- Working as a team member (Client, EP, EPCM & Contractors)
- Mining Projects construction experience.
Why apply through Brunel? Finding the next step in your career can be a fulltime job in itself. We manage the process for you: from submitting your resume to coordinating interviews to extending offers and assisting with on-boarding. We’ll get you going while you get on with the job.
Join the Brunel Community
Join the Brunel Community
Brunel has a reputation for working with some of the best in the business. That’s what we continually strive for. Over 45 years, we’ve created a global network of interesting clients and talented individuals working together through a vast array of services.
Start applying immediately
Sending an application is quick and easy. Just make sure you have the required documents ready to go.
- Certifications (optional)
- Job references (optional)
- Motivation Letter (optional)
Any questions remaining?
Your consultant, Gultchan Chevket is happy to clarify anything about this vacancy. When reaching out, use the pub number:
Brunel Canada - Toronto