About this job
- Market: Energy
- Branch: Oil & Gas
- Area of Expertise: Engineering & Design
- Location: Sarnia
What is required?
- hours per week: 40
- Education level: Other
- Closing date: Saturday, 24 June 2023
About this role: Programming and Instrumentation Technician
Our client in the petrochemical industry is looking for a Programming and Instrumentation technician to join their team in Calgary, Alberta. As a programming and instrumentation technician, you’ll be part of the electrical team to support the team with preparing documentation packages for construction, interfacing with cross-functional teams, specifying instruments, equipment, programming and commissioning project controllers, PLCs, HMI’s and DCS, maintaining datalogging servers, and communicated with stakeholders on various projects across the organization.
- Prepare documentation packages for construction including developing detailed drawings, updating or writing control narratives and cause & effect tables while ensuring inherently safe design principles and industry and corporate design standards are adhered to
- Interface with functional groups such as Operations, Maintenance, and Project Engineering to ensure expectations, objectives, and timelines are met.
- Specify instruments, equipment, and controls software.
- Program and commission process controllers, PLCs, HMIs, DCS
- Maintain and update control networks and software on operator stations.
- Maintain datalogging servers.
- Manage software licenses and support contracts.
- Interface with 3rd party EPCs and/or equipment manufacturers
- Participate in hazard reviews such as HAZOPs, LOPA, construction inspections, and pre-start-up safety reviews.
- Adhere to NOVAs corporate Management of Change process.
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology or Instrumentation Engineering Technology and 5-8 years’ experience
- CET designation with ASET is preferred, registered and in progress to obtain would also be acceptable.
- Experience with ladder logic, structured text, and function block programming on Rockwell Automation Studio 5000, Honeywell PkS, and/or other similar platforms/software
- Programming HMI graphics with Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk View, Wonderware InTouch
- Experience with Wonderware Historian
- Experience with various communications and networks such as Ethernet, Modbus TCP, Serial RS-232/485
- Experience developing control narratives, cause & effect tables, alarm matrices.
- Instrumentation design experience sizing and specifying control valves, flow controllers, pressure and temperature transducers, level sensors.
- Familiar with Canadian Electrical Code, particularly Section 18 – Hazardous Locations
- Electrical design experience with low voltage (<600V) power distribution and circuit protection, motor VFDs and starters, heat trace and process heater sizing calculations would be considered an asset.
- Able to read and interpret process flow diagrams, P&IDs, equipment manuals and specifications.
- Working knowledge of Autodesk AutoCAD Electrical and Intergraph SmartPlant Foundation is an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to Responsible Care®
- Ability to work autonomously with limited supervision while managing multiple priorities and tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
What We Offer
Why work with Brunel? We are proud to offer exciting career opportunities from over 100 offices globally in 42 countries. Advancing your career takes time and effort – let us match you to your ideal position.
Join the Brunel Community
Join the Brunel Community
Brunel has a reputation for working with some of the best in the business. That’s what we continually strive for. Brunel provides the global recruitment and workforce services you need to lead your industry. With 45 years of market experience in Renewable Energy, Automotive, Oil & Gas, Life Sciences, Mining and Infrastructure, we help you finish major projects safely, compliantly, on-time, within budget and at the highest quality, so you can keep growing – anywhere in the world.
Start applying immediately
Sending an application is quick and easy. Just make sure you have the required documents ready to go.
- Certifications (optional)
- Job references (optional)
- Motivation Letter (optional)
Any questions remaining?
Your consultant, Clemens Snoeijer is happy to clarify anything about this vacancy. When reaching out, use the pub number:
Brunel Canada - Toronto