Principal Systems Assurance Engineer
Vacancy number • PUB406543
Brunel is currently looking for a Principal Systems Assurance Engineer for our EPCM client in Mississauga, Ontario. As a Principal Systems Assurance Engineer, you'll be reporting directly to the Director of Systems Assurance. This leadership position involves overseeing safety programs for expansive rail developments within the global rail systems and assurance practice. The ideal candidate should possess in-depth expertise in systems engineering, assurance, RAMS, and Safety Management Systems applicable to the entire railway operation. The role requires a proven track record in engineering safety management and strong leadership skills in guiding safety teams.
About this role
- Lead project teams in review and development of system assurance analyses and documentation throughout the project lifecycle:
- Safety and Risk Analyses – Review and develop analyses including PHA, IHA, SHA, SSHA and knowledge of safety analysis techniques including fault tree analyses, FMECAs, etc.
- Reliability Analyses – Review and develop analyses including RAM Allocation, RAM Analysis and FRACAS and knowledge of reliability analysis techniques, including reliability modelling and reliability block diagrams.
- Lead project teams in performance of Hazard Management, including:
- Develop processes/procedures to set up and maintain Hazard Log Management tool.
- Leading and participating in HAZOP and HAZID studies.
- Develop project schedules or provide Project Managers with guidance as to the inputs required for RAMS tasks and expected durations for RAMS tasks.
- Lead project teams in performance of Systems Assurance Planning in Reliability and/or Safety Studies, including development of Safety Certification Plans, Safety Management Plans, Safety Case Plans and RAM Plans.
- Lead project teams in review of verification/validation evidence for incorporation into Project Safety Cases.
- Conduct Assurance Audits and Assessments for Safety, RAM of 3rd party vendors and suppliers.
- Provide mentorship and leadership to systems assurance engineers to execute Systems Assurance Programs for Clients.
- Prepare technical documents/reports for presentation to clients, stakeholders, project teams, etc.
- Develop and present material/participate in client/stakeholder workshops.
- Development of System Safety Cases and Assurance Cases.
- Interface with design teams, management, rail/transit operators and suppliers.
- Continuous, effective communication and relationship building with Clients in the development and implementation of projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in related engineering discipline (e.g., electrical, mechanical).
- P.Eng. designation or eligible to apply.
- 15 years or greater of experience working for a railway authority, rail supplier or consultancy.
- Demonstrated success in a team environment and in leading a systems assurance team in transit/rail infrastructure projects.
- Complete railway, project wide RAMS experience.
- Experience of the design lifecycle as well as experience with transit/rail assurance standards such as AREMA, IEEE, MIL-STD-882, EN50126, EN50128 and EN50129 is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience executing assurance process to obtain safety certification for railway projects.
- Knowledge of rail systems, including but not limited to signaling, tunnel ventilation, traction power, overhead catenary, track, structures, communications, EMI/EMC and rail vehicles.
- Knowledge of hazard analysis management in a large rail/transit project environment.
- Knowledge of DOORS or other requirement management tools and their application in a rail/transit infrastructure project environment.
- Knowledge of Systems Engineering process, including INCOSE and/or IEC 15288.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with ability to communicate complex technical information to both technical and non-technical personnel, including external clients, vendors, and other team members.
What We Offer
Why work with Brunel? We are proud to offer exciting career opportunities from over 100 offices globally in 42 countries. Advancing your career takes time and effort – let us match you to your ideal position.
Brunel has a reputation for working with some of the best in the business. That’s what we continually strive for. Brunel provides the global recruitment and workforce services you need to lead your industry. With 45 years of market experience in Renewable Energy, Automotive, Oil & Gas, Life Sciences, Mining and Infrastructure, we help you finish major projects safely, compliantly, on-time, within budget and at the highest quality, so you can keep growing – anywhere in the world.
Empowering people is our business. Our specialist recruiters strive to connect talented individuals with opportunities that align not only with your immediate expectations, but your long-term career trajectory as well. Brunel has built a reputation for working with some of the world’s largest and most innovative businesses. Talk to us about how we can help you to reach your goals.
Brunel connects the most talented and experienced specialists with both present-day and pioneering projects. With 120+ offices and more than 12,000 specialists around the world, we deliver people and workforce services that transform global projects in Engineering & Construction, Oil & Gas, Renewable Energy, Mining, Infrastructure and Life Sciences.
Brunel is passionate about ensuring we are a business with a conscience. Not only does Brunel have a defined global Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategy, but we also have our own dedicated Brunel Foundation which has been working to ensure that we are contributing to a better future for both our people and planet for over 10 years.
Do you have questions?
If you have questions or would like to discuss the details of this role, please contact Clemens Snoeijer quoting publication number: PUB406543