Contracts and Procurement Manager
Vacancy number • PUB406573
Brunel is seeking a Contracts and Procurement Manager role who will be responsible for delivering major projects on behalf of the company’s various Business Units and providing the company with the core source of expertise in project delivery, management, and control. Projects in the portfolio are generally large and complex mining, process facilities, and infrastructure projects, in various stages of development.
This position is a key, senior role within the company’s Project, and has responsibility for leading, managing and mentoring a program-wide contracts and procurement team to plan, deliver, and administer effective contract and purchase agreements that add value and reduce life-cycle risk and cost for services, works, materials and equipment procured by the Project.
About this role
- Maintaining and demonstrating the company’s commitment to safety and environmental protection as a core value.
- Demonstrating respect for the rights, cultures, interests, and aspirations of Indigenous Peoples.
- Ensuring that the company’s policies and procedures relevant to project contracting and procurement are incorporated into documents and practices.
- Developing and recommending Project Contracting Strategies for multi-package contracting scopes.
- Proactively assessing and managing project commercial risk and ensuring that agreements adequately address practical risks, including health, safety, environment, and community concerns.
- Undertaking the setup of the contracts and procurement function for one or more projects, including establishing contract and procurement strategies, plans, policies, procedures, systems, and tools.
- Leading, managing, and mentoring a project contracts and procurement management team to plan, deliver, and administer effective contract and purchase agreements that add value and life-cycle cost reduction for technical services, construction works, and purchased materials and equipment.
- Identifying and providing recommendations to Project leadership in respect of Contracts and Procurement staffing requirements
- Working with Contracts and Procurement Functional Leadership and Human Resources in support of the recruitment and hiring process.
- Acting as the designated functional supervisor for one or more C&P personnel on, and outside of the Project team, to provide training, coaching, and professional development.
- Where operating under an EPCM delivery model, ensuring EPCM supply chain functions comply with all relevant requirements, corporate policy, industry best practices, and project-specific requirements.
- Developing and recommending individual contract and purchase strategies and plans, considering legal, commercial, and technical approaches to scope packaging, bidding, awarding, managing, and closing agreements.
- Managing the request for proposal process, including planning, preparation, and management of RFx documents, analyzing and evaluating commercial proposals, undertaking commercial risk assessment, managing the technical evaluation process, negotiating commercial and legal terms, recommending award based on best value, and executing and awarding resulting contracts.
- Serving as the leader of the agreement’s negotiation (contracts and procurement) process on behalf of the company.
- Ensuring effective post-award agreement administration practices are in place, and that the Owner and its counterparties are compliant with their respective obligations under the project agreements.
- Implementing effective change management to ensure contract/Purchase Order modifications are properly documented and approved.
- Implementing and aligning systems supporting contract and PO formation and administration, maintaining accurate records of committed, actuals, expended, and forecast Owner's costs associated with the project against approved commitments.
- Ensuring contracts and purchase orders are closed out appropriately and by applicable legislation.
- Proactively resolving issues that arise between contractors/vendors and project teams professionally.
- Guiding Project leaders and teams regarding contract management strategies, options, and considerations throughout all stages of contract and purchase order lifecycles.
- Interpreting legal and commercial terms, relying on those terms to manage contractors, advise Project Managers and project teams, and resolve disputes/claims.
- Developing, maintaining, and improving company project contract and procurement management requirements, standards, and procedures for application within the Project
- Ensuring project policies and procedures are compliant with Project Directives and standards and are fit-for-purpose for the Project.
- Transferring learning from actual project implementation into the improvement of the team and, where appropriate, policies, standards, and procedures.
- Performing independent reviews of project contract and procurement plans and performance at Stage Gates, Health Checks, or other agreed review milestones.
- Building and maintaining relationships with relevant stakeholders as well as relationships with key external service providers.
- Adhering to all corporate policies, code of ethics, and codes of conduct.
- Other related tasks on the Project, as required by the Project Director, or functionally, as required by their Manager.
- A postgraduate degree or technical trade in a related field.
- A post-graduate degree such as an MBA is desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as excellent communication skills in both Spanish and English, both verbal and written.
- Minimum 15 years of experience in project contract and procurement leadership roles on major mining, process, or oil and gas plant project implementation (brownfields and greenfield), including 8+ years of field experience.
- Expert knowledge and skills in the area of project contract and procurement management in the resources industry.
- Expert knowledge and extensive networks in the Mexican mining projects engineering and construction industry
- Extensive experience in applied contracts and procurement management in an international/multinational project delivery environment.
- Advanced understanding of post-award (practical) project freight and logistics management requirements and practices.
- Advanced understanding of the unique requirements for the performance of the Contracts and Procurement Management role in an Owner’s team, in addition to proven high performance within an EPCM, EPCM, or Tier 1 Contractor organization.
- Advanced skills and knowledge of overall project implementation management processes, including an understanding of project life-cycles, project procedures, project roles, and responsibilities.
- Demonstrated excellence in risk and opportunity identification, strategic and tactical planning, and management.
- Deep understanding of various contract types, models, strategies, etc., and the applicability, risks, and benefits of each type.
- Deep understanding and strong ability to argue, defend, apply, and rely on legal and commercial terms and conditions during negotiations.
- Excellent relationship management, negotiation, and dispute resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to scope, build, and lead high-performing teams.
What We Offer
Why work with Brunel? We are proud to offer exciting career opportunities from over 100 offices globally in 42 countries. Advancing your career takes time and effort – let us match you to your ideal position.
About UsBrunel has a reputation for working with some of the best in the business. That’s what we continually strive for. Brunel provides the global recruitment and workforce services you need to lead your industry. With 45 years of market experience in Renewable Energy, Automotive, Oil & Gas, Life Sciences, Mining and Infrastructure, we help you finish major projects safely, compliantly, on-time, within budget and at the highest quality, so you can keep growing – anywhere in the world
Empowering people is our business. Our specialist recruiters strive to connect talented individuals with opportunities that align not only with your immediate expectations, but your long-term career trajectory as well. Brunel has built a reputation for working with some of the world’s largest and most innovative businesses. Talk to us about how we can help you to reach your goals.
Brunel connects the most talented and experienced specialists with both present-day and pioneering projects. With 120+ offices and more than 12,000 specialists around the world, we deliver people and workforce services that transform global projects in Engineering & Construction, Oil & Gas, Renewable Energy, Mining, Infrastructure and Life Sciences.
Brunel is passionate about ensuring we are a business with a conscience. Not only does Brunel have a defined global Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategy, but we also have our own dedicated Brunel Foundation which has been working to ensure that we are contributing to a better future for both our people and planet for over 10 years.
Do you have questions?
If you have questions or would like to discuss the details of this role, please contact Cherie Taylor quoting publication number: PUB406573