About this job
- Market: Energy
- Branch: Oil & Gas
- Area of Expertise: Drilling, Completions & Geosciences
- Location: Calgary
What is required?
- hours per week: 72
- Education level: Secondary School
- Closing date: Thursday, 27 October 2022
About this role: Civil / Geotechnical Engineering Technologist
Brunel is currently searching for Civil / Geotechnical Engineering Technologist on a regular full-time basis on rotation in the field in Western Canada. Under the supervision of the Site Supervisor, the Geotechnical Engineering Technologist is responsible for completing operations maintenance and surveillance monitoring tasks for earthen structures at active mine sites and civil earthwork projects. This position will work independently in the field with support from their Field Supervisor and Project Manager
- This is a field position on a two weeks on two weeks off rotation
- Shifts will be 12 hours (day/night), plus travel between camp and site
- Flights provided from Calgary and Edmonton only
- Monitoring geotechnical parameters to provide quality control in accordance with design and sampling/testing specifications.
- Completing advanced soil sampling and compaction testing using a portable nuclear gauge.
- Interpreting design and IFC drawings, as well as material and construction specifications.
- Storing, transporting and maintaining nuclear densometers.
- Developed understanding of radiation safety, policies and procedures.
- Reporting on technical construction monitoring observations and results and providing guidance during construction.
- Adhering to quality control, documentation, and data management procedures.
- Contributing to standardized procedures and policies, as well as the identification and execution of shared goals and objectives.
- Troubleshooting technical issues in the field to consistently deliver high quality results.
- Demonstrating proficiency in the competencies outlined in the applicable Core Competency Profile.
- Working knowledge of geotechnical material testing equipment and soil sampling.
- Operating light vehicles (4x4 pickups) and/or all-terrain vehicles to gain access to construction areas located throughout the mine.
- Identifying and engaging with key stakeholders to gather information and background.
- Participating and following site-specific Health Safety Environment (HSE) policies and that the safety standard procedures are strictly adhered to with the goal of achieving zero workplace incidents and promotion of a safe work environment for all.
- Participating in daily tailgate meetings.
- Identifying and reporting hazards and unsafe conditions and seek to improve safety with reference to known policies and procedures.
- Documenting significant events or observations related to the job (i.e. Environmental, Hazard ID, Job Observations, etc.).
Education And Experience
- A minimum Post-Secondary Technical Diploma in geological, geotechnical, civil or mining disciplines.
- A minimum 1-6 years of relevant industry experience including mine driving is considered an asset.
- Professional designation with either the Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET) or the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC (ASTTBC) is considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft office suite of programs.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License with current Driver’s Abstract
- You must have Standard First Aid Level C with AED, CSTS, and H2S Alive.
- These positions require a pre-access drug and alcohol testing and criminal background check..
Why work with Brunel? We are proud to offer exciting career opportunities from over 100 offices globally in 42 countries. Advancing your career takes time and effort – let us match you to your ideal position.
Join the Brunel Community
Join the Brunel Community
Brunel has a reputation for working with some of the best in the business. That’s what we continually strive for. Brunel provides the global recruitment and workforce services you need to lead your industry. With 45 years of market experience in Renewable Energy, Automotive, Oil & Gas, Life Sciences, Mining and Infrastructure, we help you finish major projects safely, compliantly, on-time, within budget and at the highest quality, so you can keep growing — anywhere in the world.
Start applying immediately
Sending an application is quick and easy. Just make sure you have the required documents ready to go.
- Certifications (optional)
- Job references (optional)
- Motivation Letter (optional)
Any questions remaining?
Your consultant, Cherie Taylor is happy to clarify anything about this vacancy. When reaching out, use the pub number:
Brunel Canada - Calgary