Superintendent - Medical and Health
Vacancy number • PUB406577
Brunel Papua New Guinea are seeking a Medical & Health Superintendent ideally with a strong background in the Mining industry. This is a FIFO role based at a well-established gold mine in PNG.
The role will brings an exciting opportunity to be responsible for the development, delivery, assessment and management of Medical and Health systems for Mine site Operations, to enable the business to meet its long- and short-term business objectives. The role has a high level of focus on achieving excellence in Safety and Health for our client. Coaching and mentoring the national workforce with a capacity and willingness to support the development of local employees is required.
This is a 36-month assignment with FIFO benefits and offering competitive salary + site allowance. Roster is 21 days on/ 14 days off roster with 12-hour work day. Client would like the right candidate to commence as soon as possible!
About this role
Activities of the role:
- Develop and coordinate systems, procedures and programs to meet the requirements outlined in the Safety and Health System, relevant PNG Legislation and to achieve Safe Operations
- Mentor and coach all Medical and Occupational Health personnel in the delivery of training, understanding and application of medical centre and health systems and procedures as well as roll-out of initiatives
- Develop systems for the efficient management of Health Promotion
- Incident Response and Investigation Medical Treatment
- Emergency Response Planning, Training and Response
- Lead the development of the Site Medical Management Plan by working closely with site management
- Monitor medical and occupational health performance, formulate and implement plans for continuous improvement
- Assist the OH&S Manager with implementation of change management initiatives and other business improvement projects
- Working in a manner that will not endanger themselves or any other person
- Achieve agreed environmental targets, legal compliance and incident prevention. Lead and promote the development of a culture of workforce environmental care and respect
- Maintain and develop relationships with stakeholders in site mining activities, consistent with Community Relations Policies
- Become actively involved in Sites aims and objectives of engaging with the local community and strive to leave a positive impact on the longer-term outcomes for local people. Promote the integration between this engagement and the success of the business
- Develop the Annual Plan for the department and drive achievement of continuous improvement targets
- Prepare and manage the budget for the department
- Ensure the development and maintenance of up-to-date job procedures for all tasks performed within the department
- Develop objectives for sharing common infrastructure and support services across our client and cascade this throughout department
- Ensure effective communication with delegate prior to departure from site
- Be visible in the workplace
- Recognised tertiary qualifications in Occupational Health & Safety, health care or a related discipline are desirable, in addition to the key skills and experience required
- Extensive experience in a paramedic and emergency response role specific to the mining industry
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in an ER/Medical role, including experience at implementing systems, emergency response and behavioural change
- Knowledge and experience in a mining operation in a developing country, demonstrating commitment to localisation plans and sensitivity to local customs and practices
- Significant experience in occupational health and safety, including several years in leadership roles
- Excellent computer skills with the ability to use integrated management systems, word processing, presentation and spreadsheet applications
- Excellent communication skills across all levels of the organisation
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills
- Able to work effectively with and mentor National staff in similar roles
- FIFO roster 21 days on/ 14 days off
- Ensuite style site accommodation
- Excellent security onsite
- Full medical facilities onsite
- Attractive Daily rate on offer
Operating in Papua New Guinea since 2008, Brunel has their major bases in Brisbane and Port Moresby, which are further backed by the strength and reach of a truly global network spanning 44 countries, 100 offices and 45 years of successful operation.
Empowering people is our business. Our specialist recruiters strive to connect talented individuals with opportunities that align not only with your immediate expectations, but your long-term career trajectory as well. Brunel has built a reputation for working with some of the world’s largest and most innovative businesses. Talk to us about how we can help you to reach your goals.
Brunel connects the most talented and experienced specialists with both present-day and pioneering projects. With 120+ offices and more than 12,000 specialists around the world, we deliver people and workforce services that transform global projects in Mining, Oil & Gas, Renewable Energy, Infrastructure and Life Sciences.
Brunel is passionate about ensuring we are a business with a conscience. Not only does Brunel have a defined global Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategy, but we also have our own dedicated Brunel Foundation which has been working to ensure that we are contributing to a better future for both our people and planet for over 10 years.
Do you have questions?
If you have questions or would like to discuss the details of this role, please contact Wilfred Kochannek quoting publication number: PUB406577