Senior Underground Planning Engineer
Vacancy number • PUB406563
Brunel Papua New Guinea are seeking an experienced and dedicated Senior Underground Planning Engineer to join our team in the gold mining industry. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the development and optimization of underground mine plans, ensuring safe and efficient extraction of gold resources. This role requires expertise in mine planning software, geotechnical considerations, and a commitment to adhering to safety and environmental standards.
The role will require preparing plans for rolling 3 month forecasts, annual Budgets and Life-of-Mine plans. This is a 24-month contract opportunity with FIFO benefits and offering competitive salary + site allowance – 21 days on/ 14 days off roster with 12-hour days. Commencement date is as soon as possible.
About this role
- Lead the development and optimization of underground mine plans, considering economic, geological, geotechnical, and metallurgical factors
- Consider and evaluate scenarios to prepare proposals for approval of preferred option
- Collaborate with geologists, surveyors, and other stakeholders to gather and analyze relevant data for mine planning
- Utilize advanced mine planning software (Deswik) to create, modify, and analyze stope designs, production schedules, and financial models
- Stay updated on industry-leading software and technology to enhance efficiency and accuracy in mine planning processes
- Conduct geotechnical assessments to ensure the stability of underground workings, collaborating with geotechnical engineers as needed
- Implement risk mitigation strategies and ground support measures
- Oversee the planning of underground infrastructure, including ventilation systems, access tunnels, and ore handling facilities
- Ensure efficient logistics for material transport within the underground mine
- Perform economic evaluations and financial analyses to assess the economic viability of underground mining projects
- Optimize mine plans to maximize ore recovery and minimize operational costs while adhering to safety and environmental standards
- Work closely with cross-functional teams, including mining operations, geology, metallurgy, and environmental departments, to integrate various aspects into mine planning processes
- Ensure mine plans adhere to local regulations and environmental standards
- Collaborate with regulatory bodies to obtain necessary permits and approvals
- Generate regular reports on mine plans, production forecasts, and key performance indicators for management and stakeholders
- Champion a strong safety culture, ensuring that all underground mining activities comply with safety regulations and protocols
- Implement environmental management practices in line with industry standards
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Mining Engineering or related field
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in underground mine planning for gold mining operations
- Proficient in mine planning software such as Deswik
- Strong understanding of geotechnical engineering principles and underground mining methods
- Demonstrated experience in economic evaluation and financial modeling
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with local mining regulations and permitting processes
- Proven ability to lead and work collaboratively in a team environment
- FIFO roster 21 days on/ 14 days off
- Ensuite style accommodation/ good security onsite/ Gym/ full medical facilities onsite
- Attractive Daily rate on offer
Operating in Papua New Guinea since 2008, Brunel has their major bases in Brisbane and Port Moresby, which are further backed by the strength and reach of a truly global network spanning 44 countries, 100 offices and 45 years of successful operation.
Empowering people is our business. Our specialist recruiters strive to connect talented individuals with opportunities that align not only with your immediate expectations, but your long-term career trajectory as well. Brunel has built a reputation for working with some of the world’s largest and most innovative businesses. Talk to us about how we can help you to reach your goals.
Brunel connects the most talented and experienced specialists with both present-day and pioneering projects. With 120+ offices and more than 12,000 specialists around the world, we deliver people and workforce services that transform global projects in Mining, Oil & Gas, Renewable Energy, Infrastructure and Life Sciences.
Brunel is passionate about ensuring we are a business with a conscience. Not only does Brunel have a defined global Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategy, but we also have our own dedicated Brunel Foundation which has been working to ensure that we are contributing to a better future for both our people and planet for over 10 years.
Do you have questions?
If you have questions or would like to discuss the details of this role, please contact Wilfred Kochannek quoting publication number: PUB406563