Senior Refractory Specialist
Vacancy number • PUB406449
Brunel is currently hiring a talented professional to lead technical aspects of refractory design for hydrometallurgical equipment in collaboration with a major Engineering, Procurement, and Construction Management (EPCM) company. This role involves overseeing material selection, bricking arrangements, thermal and mechanical analysis, specification development, supplier selection, and ensuring quality throughout fabrication and installation. Additionally, responsibilities include forensic analysis and troubleshooting of existing refractory linings.
About this role
- Define and contribute to projects’ scope, costs and benefits, schedule, and implementation strategy.
- Technically manage project execution teams consisting of a mix of internal resources, consultants, and contractors.
- Review and approve drawings; oversee others responsible for update and creation of the drawings.
- Conduct refractory supplier pre-qualification and manage refractory supplier relationships.
- Conduct QA/QC inspections at suppliers’ facilities prior to products being shipped or at the project site.
- Provide on-site supervision during construction and refractory installation phases of a project.
- Conduct weekly project review meetings with the project execution team.
- Develop plans for operational support of refractory-lined assets, including planning and execution of fitness-for-service inspections, dimensional surveys, data analysis, condition assessment, preventive maintenance, and re-lining activities.
- Develop and conduct a training program to upgrade skills of project execution team members as needed to support the growth of the refractory practice.
- Assist the leadership team through review of the relevant sections of proposals for key projects.
- Identify and manage technology improvement projects, including approved R&D projects.
- Identify patentable technology and assist the Director with the drafting of patent applications.
- Assist with marketing of technology, including writing technical papers and participation in relevant industry meetings, workshops, and conferences.
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering with a major in material science or ceramics.
- A minimum of 10 years practical experience in the use of refractory materials in hydrometallurgical applications with an excellent working knowledge of vessel lining design, operation, and maintenance.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in refractory manufacturing, particularly involving the production, quality control, and installation of refractory brick and tile products, mortars, and lining systems.
- Good working knowledge of the technical aspects of refractory design in closely related areas, i.e., an understanding of the impacts of refractory linings on vessel deflection and structural containments
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office 10 products such as Word, Excel, MS Project, and PowerPoint.
- Strong organizational skills are required to meet multiple task targets. The individual must demonstrate leadership skills to manage contractors, control budgets, and maintain scheduled commitments.
- Good knowledge of project execution methodologies.
What We Offer
Why work with Brunel? We are proud to offer exciting career opportunities from over 100 offices globally in 42 countries. Advancing your career takes time and effort – let us match you to your ideal position.
Brunel has a reputation for working with some of the best in the business. That’s what we continually strive for. Brunel provides the global recruitment and workforce services you need to lead your industry. With 45 years of market experience in Renewable Energy, Automotive, Oil & Gas, Life Sciences, Mining, and Infrastructure, we help you finish major projects safely, compliantly, on-time, within budget and at the highest quality, so you can keep growing – anywhere in the world.
Empowering people is our business. Our specialist recruiters strive to connect talented individuals with opportunities that align not only with your immediate expectations, but your long-term career trajectory as well. Brunel has built a reputation for working with some of the world’s largest and most innovative businesses. Talk to us about how we can help you to reach your goals.
Brunel connects the most talented and experienced specialists with both present-day and pioneering projects. With 120+ offices and more than 12,000 specialists around the world, we deliver people and workforce services that transform global projects in Mining, Oil & Gas, Renewable Energy, Infrastructure and Life Sciences.
Brunel is passionate about ensuring we are a business with a conscience. Not only does Brunel have a defined global Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategy, but we also have our own dedicated Brunel Foundation which has been working to ensure that we are contributing to a better future for both our people and planet for over 10 years.
Do you have questions?
If you have questions or would like to discuss the details of this role, please contact Clemens Snoeijer quoting publication number: PUB406449