About this role: Product Development Specialist
Product Development SpecialistSurrey, BC
We are currently hiring a Product Development Specialist for our client based in Surrey, BC. The Product Development Specialist will be responsible for driving the conception, creation, and refinement of the company’s culinary innovations. This role will involve collaborating with cross-functional teams to ensure that the company’s products meet the highest standards of taste, quality, and sustainability.
- Responsible for ideation, development, and execution of new plant-based food products, from concept to commercialization.
- Works hands-on & closely with members of the company‘s team at the R&D innovation center to prepare samples.
- Conduct thorough research on emerging food trends, ingredients, and culinary techniques to inform product innovation.
- Stay up to date with industry developments and competitor products, identifying opportunities for differentiation.
- Assists in the sourcing of new ingredients.
- Benchmarking ingredients/products against competitors.
- Collaborate closely with the marketing, and operations teams to ensure seamless product development processes.
- Prepares customer samples and work closely with clients and suppliers related to samples and queries including packaging, labelling and documentation.
- Samples presentation to customers as required.
- Hands-on creation of prototypes and recipes, meticulously refining flavors, and textures to achieve superior taste and quality achieving the required texture, taste, and nutritional profiles while maintaining ingredient functionality of the formulation within processing parameters.
- Product specification development and validation of final product formulations. Generate nutritional profiles, and ingredient declarations using Genesis software.
- Evaluate processes, ingredients, and product prototypes while meticulously following established protocols.
- Develops processing instructions as per developed product prototypes and support the operational implementation and commercialization.
- Documents formulas, process parameters and results and maintains accurate records.
- Conduct sensory evaluations and gather feedback of formulation in development, R&D samples, and raw materials and to continuously improve products.
- Adhere to regulatory guidelines and ensure that products meet all relevant food safety and quality standards.
- Adheres to applicable SOPs and established protocols for product development, sensory, shelf-life testing, and others.
- Responsible for R&D sample logging, materials inventory, and stock management.
- Operates, calibrates, and maintains R&D laboratory equipment and cleanliness.
- Responsible for maintaining calibration records of all lab instrumentation as required.
- Responsible for maintaining R&D Lab in clean and good working conditions.
- Assists with the training of R&D technicians and ensures food safety protocols are adhered to.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned by your supervisors.
- Bachelor’s degree in culinary arts, food science, or a related field (advanced culinary certifications or experience as a sue chef is a plus).
- Proven experience in product development within the food industry, preferably in plant-based or alternative protein products.
- Strong culinary skills, with a deep understanding of flavor profiles, ingredient functionality, and recipe development.
- Strong bench work skills and familiar with R&D equipment and laboratory instrumentation.
- Passion for sustainability and a commitment to creating environmentally friendly food products.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, hands-on, collaborative environment, balancing creativity with attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, able to convey complex ideas and concepts to cross-functional teams.
- Must have excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proficiency in ingredient sourcing, cost optimization.
- Knowledge of food safety regulations and quality control processes.
- Must be proficient in using Microsoft Office.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time and perform physical tasks.
What We Offer
Why apply through Brunel? Finding the next step in your career can be a fulltime job in itself. We manage the process for you: from submitting your resume to coordinating interviews to extending offers and assisting with on-boarding. We’ll get you going while you get on with the job.
Brunel has a reputation for working with some of the best in the business. That’s what we continually strive for. Over 45 years, we’ve created a global network of interesting clients and talented individuals working together through a vast array of services.
How to apply
If you meet the above requirements and would like to be considered for this role, please submit your interest using the ‘Apply’ button. Applying is quick and easy – just make sure you have the following documents ready to go:
- Cover Letter (optional)